The Old Dominion Chapter of the NRHS and the Hull Street Station
The Old Dominion Chapter began as the “Old Dominion Railway Club” in 1948. The organization received its Charter as the “Old Dominion Chapter” of the National Railway Historical Society” in 1957. It was incorporated as the “Old Dominion Chapter, National Railroad Historical Society” by the Va. State Corporation Commission on 22 Jul 1963.
Between 1847 and 1915 the Southern Railway, and its predecessor companies, had 6 stations- some in Richmond and some in Manchester. The station immediately preceding the present Hull Street Station was on the corner of Mill Street (now Canal St.) and 14th Street in Richmond. This Mill Street Station was built in 1900 and demolished in 1914.
The Hull Street Station was built in 1915 and saw its last passenger train leave on 16 Feb 1957. Thereafter, it was used for storage and gradually deteriorated. The building was inundated and damaged by numerous floods on the James River, such as in1940, 1969, 1972, 1977 and 1985. It has been protected by the flood wall after that time.
The Southern Railway donated the Hull Street Station building to the ODC on Oct 21, 1982. At that time, the ODC entered a 15 year lease with the Railway for the land with an annual rent of $100. The 19550 sq. ft. of land was appraised at $31,200 and the building at $24,600 in 1982. The ODC was able to purchase the land in the 1995 for $60,000.
The ODC established the Richmond Railroad Museum on the Hull Street Station property. A Railway Express car was moved to the property 1987 and was used as “the museum” until the Chapter was able to fund the station building rehabilitation. The ODC entered an agreement with the “Central Virginia Modelers” (18 Nov 96) to provide them with a permanent layout location in exchange with their help renovating/maintaining the Museum. The ODC contracted major building renovations in 2009 and reopened the Museum in the station building in Nov. 2011.
Misc.: ODC rec’d title to Eng 101 10 Oct 87
ODC acquired land at RRM in the 1995
Archives placed at 3600 W. Broad St. Jun 87
First excursion on BBRR in 1992, full schedule began in 1993